Harmony Moab Khotsong Solar PV
Applicant: Harmony Moab Khotsong Operations (Pty) Ltd
Activity: Development of the Harmony Moab Khotsong Solar PV Facility, grid connection and other associated infrastructure, with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW. The on-site infrastructure includes:
- PV modules and mounting structures
- Access roads, internal roads and fencing around the development area
- Temporary and permanent laydown areas
- Administrative building, control room, workshop, storage building, guard house, auxiliary buildings and structures, water supply infrastructure, weather station
- Peripheral boundary wall & fencing
- Inverters, transformers and up to 5 on-site facility substations and switching substations
- Cabling between the project components, to be laid underground where practical
- Grid connection infrastructure to be connected to the existing:
- Vaalreefs Eleven Substation via a ~2km power line (located south-east of the facility);
- Southvaal Plant Substation via a ~0.5km power line (located north-west of the facility); and
- Southvaal Substation via a ~4km power line (located north of the facility).
Project Location: North of the Harmony Gold Moab operations, approximately ~10km north of the town of Vierfontein within the Moqhaka Local Municipality, Fezile Dabi District Municipality, Free State Province. The PV facility is located within the Klerksdorp REDZ on the Farm Anglo 593, Farm Hoekplaats 598, Farm Mispah 274, Remaining Extent of Farm Doornkom Wes 446, Farm Chrystalkop 69, Portion 1 of Farm Zaaiplaats 190, and Portions 1, 3, 4, 5 and Remaining Extent of the Farm Zuiping 394.
Basic Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of the National Environmental Management Act (No 107 of 1998), as read with Government Notice R324 – R327, as amended, and GN R114 (February 2018), a Basic Assessment is to be undertaken for the solar PV facility. An application is to be lodged with the Department of Small Business Development, Tourism and Environmental (DESTEA), as the competent authority.
Basic Assessment Report: The Basic Assessment Report is available for download, review & comment from the Savannah Environmental website. The 30-day review & comment period for the Basic Assessment Report is from 26 September 2022 to 26 October 2022. The final day for written comment to be submitted is 26 October 2022.
To obtain further information on the project and to register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to:
Nicolene Venter at Savannah Environmental
PO Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Mobile: 060 978 8396 (including Please Call Me)
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click on the “Register Interest” button to obtain the Registration Code to access the project’s documents under the “View Download Page.”
Contact Savannah Environmental
If you would like further details, please do not hesitate to contact any member of
our Environmental team at +27 (0)11 656 3237 / +27 (0)11 656 3256