PROPOSED 225MW KOLKIES PV AND 132 kV GRID CONNECTION, WESTERN CAPE PROVINCE
Applicant: South Africa Mainstream Renewable Power Developments (Pty) Ltd.
Proposed Activity: Establishment and operation of the 225 MW Kolkies Photovoltaic (PV) Solar Energy Facility (SEF), grid connection and associated infrastructure located in the Western Cape Province within the Cape Winelands District, in the Witzenberg Local Municipality. The project is located ~65km south-west of the town of Ceres along R365.
The facility will include the following infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV solar panels with a contracted capacity of up to 225MW.
- Mounting structures to support the PV panels (utilising either fixed-tilt / static, single-axis tracking, or double-axis tracking systems).
- Underground cabling and overhead power lines (up to 33kV).
- Centralised inverter stations or string inverters.
- Power Transformers.
- 33/132kV onsite substation including associated equipment and infrastructure.
- 132kV power line from the onsite 33/132 kV substation via a loop in loop out into the Eskom 765 kV Kappa Substation.
- Cabling between the project’s components, to be laid underground where practical.
- Auxiliary buildings such as offices and workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Temporary laydown areas required during construction.
- Internal access roads and perimeter security fencing around the development area.
- Access to the site will be via the existing gravel road (Patatsrivier Rd) (Road number DR01475) just of the R356.
- Stormwater channels; and water pipelines.
- Telecommunication infrastructure.
Project Location: The following properties have been identified for the development of the PV Facility and associated infrastructure:
- Farm Die Brak No.241 (PV site, substation and grid site)
- Farm Platfontein No.240 (grid site)
Application for Environmental Authorisation: An Applications for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) have been submitted for the 225MW Kolkies PV facility, power line and associated infrastructure and these are supported by basic assessment processes.
Public Participation Process: Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd has been appointed as the independent environmental consultant responsible for undertaking the Basic Assessment and Public Participation processes in support of this application for EA. To obtain further information on the project and to register on the project’s database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to:
Nicolene Venter of Savannah Environmental
Post: PO Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click email@example.com to access the document.