Notice of a Basic Assessment & Public Participation Process: Proposed 10mw Northam Solar PV Facility, Limpopo Province
|Proposed 10MW Northam Solar PV Facility||Northam Platinum Limited|
Proposed Activity: The development of a 10MW Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Facility including associated infrastructure to be located within Northam Platinum Limited’s Zondereinde mine area.
Project Location: ~35km south of Thabazimbi and 18km northwest of Northam, between the R510 in the west and the R511 in the east, within the jurisdiction of the Thabazimbi Local Municipality, which forms part of the Waterberg District Municipality, on the following farm property: Portion 2 of the Farm Zondereinde 384 (T0KQ00000000038400002).
Infrastructure associated with the Solar PV Facility will occupy up to 20ha and include the following:
- Solar PV array comprising PV modules and mounting structures;
- Inverters and transformers;
- Cabling between the project components;
- On-site substation to facilitate the connection between the Solar PV Facility and the mine electrical distribution system as needed;
- Combined gatehouse, site offices and storage facility;
- A 33kV over-head power line for the distribution of the generated power which will be connected to the existing substation at the Zondereinde Metallurgical Complex.
- Temporary laydown areas; and
- Access paved road, internal roads and fencing around the development area.
Basic Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of the National Environmental Management Act, 1998 (Act No 107 of 1998), as read with Government Notice R326, R327 and R324, as amended, a Basic Assessment (BA) is required for the Environmental Authorisation of this project. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required BA and public participation process for the proposed project.
Basic Assessment Report available for public review and comment: Savannah Environmental has compiled a BA Report in support of the application for Environmental Authorisation. The BA Report and associated documentation will be available for public review and comment from Monday, 19 July 2021 until Thursday, 19 August 2021.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to:
Nicolene Venter at Savannah Environmental
P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click firstname.lastname@example.org to access the document.