NOTICE OF AN ENVIRONMENTAL AUTHORISATION AMENDMENT, EMPR UPDATE AND LAYOUT UPDATE, ATMOSPHERIC EMISSIONS LICENCE APPLICATION AND PUBLIC PARTICIPATION PROCESS
400MW RICHARDS BAY GAS TO POWER ENERGY FACILITY LOCATED IN RICHARDS BAY, KWAZULU-NATAL PROVINCE (DEA REF.: 14/12/16/3/3/2/867)
Project Name: 400MW Richards Bay Gas to Power Energy Facility, KwaZulu-Natal Province.
Applicant: Richards Bay Gas Power 2 (Pty) Ltd.
Proposed Amendments: Richards Bay Gas Power 2 (Pty) Ltd is requesting the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA) to amend the Environmental Authorisation, dated 04 October 2016 as follows:
- A validity extension of the EA by five (5) years;
- An update to the capacity and configuration of the power plant in the EA project description from: ‘300MW (fuelled) and 100MW (steam) in a combined cycle’ to: ‘a 400MW (fuelled) simple cycle process’.
- The removal of various infrastructure components required for the combined cycle generation process, and addition of various infrastructure components now required for the simple cycle generation process.
- A replacement of all references to the wording, ‘peaking’ in the EA to correctly reflect ‘Mid-Merit/Peaking’, to ensure that both peaking and mid-merit options/scenarios have been considered for the development;
- To specify in the project description of the EA the use of, Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG), Liquified Natural Gas (LNG), Regasified Liquefied Natural Gas (RLNG) or pipeline natural gas as the fuel source (as assessed for the approved EA).
- The removal of diesel mentions (as a fuel source) from the EA, as it is no longer applicable.
- Altering capacity of the fuel storage tanks to reflect that of the updated layout.
- A correction on the EA to specify Activity 2 of Listing Notice 2 in the EA.
- Amendment to conditions 14,15,16 and 17 of the approved EA to specify that the layout submitted and EMPr submitted have been approved.
Additionally, in accordance with conditions 14 and 15 of the approved Environmental Authorisation (EA) for the project (DEA REF.: 14/12/16/3/3/2/867) a final layout is being submitted for approval. Furthermore, in accordance with conditions 16 and 17 of the same approved EA, an EMPr update is being conducted to include specifications required by the EA. Notice of the layout update and EMPr update is hereby issued. These will be made available for public review and commenting to all registered Interested and Affected Parties.
Finally, this notices also serves to inform the public of an Air Emissions Licence Authorisation (AELA) process being submitted to the Competent Authority (King Cetshwayo District Municipality) for authorisation under section 21 of the National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act (2004), specifically sub-category 1.4 and 2.4 (storage of LPG) of Government Notice 893 (22 November 2013), as amended, and the associated Listed Activities of GNR 248 (2010) for the control of harmful emissions, an Atmospheric Emissions Licence (AEL) authorisation.
Project Locations: The proposed site is located within the uMhlathuze Local Municipality in the King Cetshwayo District Municipality on the properties:
- Erven 17455;
- Erven 17443; and
- Erven 17442.
In terms of Condition 5 & 6 of the Environmental Authorisation dated 04 October 2016 and Regulation 31 & 32 of the EIA Regulations, 2014, as amended, it is possible for an applicant to apply, in writing, to the competent authority for a change or deviation from the project description to be approved, and an opportunity is being provided to the public to provide comment on the proposed amendments. Notice of the EMPr and Layout Update, as well as AELA process is also herewith issued.
Interested and affected parties can request further information via email or telephone correspondence from the contact person below. Comments can be submitted in writing via post or email to the contact person below.
To obtain further information or register as Interested and Affected Party, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to Savannah Environmental:
Documents for public review are available for download.
If you have already registered you interest click on “View Downloads”.
If you have not registered your interest click on “Register Interest”, fill in and submit the form.