Environmental Impact Assessment and public participation process for proposed UpIlanga Solar Park Development, Northern Cape Province
Applicant: Emvelo Capital Projects (Pty) Ltd.
Proposed Activity: Establishment of the Upington Ilanga Solar Park (Upilanga Solar Park) Development, using concentrating solar generation technology and photovoltaic technology, on sites located approximately 30 km east of Upington within the Dawid Kruiper Local Municipality, which falls under the ZF Mgcawu District in the Northern Cape.
|Site reference||Project Name and Description|
|Site 1||Ilanga PV 1 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
|Site 2||Ilanga PV 2 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
|Site 3||Ilanga PV 3 (1 x 350 MW PV facility)|
|Site 4||Ilanga PV 4 (1 x 350 MW PV facility)|
|Site 5||Ilanga PV 5 (1 x 350 MW PV facility)|
|Site 6||Ilanga PV 6 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
|Site 7||Ilanga PV 7 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
|Site 8||Ilanga PV 8 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
|Site 9||Ilanga PV 9 (1 x 100 MW PV facility)|
The facilities will include the following associated infrastructure:
- Arrays of PV solar panels with a contracted capacity of up to 100MW each.
- Mounting structures to support the PV panels (utilising either fixed-tilt / static, single-axis tracking, or double-axis tracking systems).
- On-site inverters (step up facility) to convert power from Direct Current (DC) to an Alternative (AC)
- 11kV/22kV/33kV collector substation to receive, convert and step up electricity from the PV facility to the 132kV Ilanga Substation;
- Underground cables to connect to the on-site substations at authorised sites 1.3 and 1.4 and authorised grid connection to the Ilanga substation for PV facilities located at site 1 and 2.
- Loop in and loop out of the 132kV lines connecting Ilanga Substation to Gordonia Substation or connect to the onsite- collector substation at authorised site 1.3 and 1.4 using underground cables.
- Cabling between the project’s components, to be laid underground where practical.
- Water pipeline
- Auxiliary buildings such as offices and workshop areas for maintenance and storage.
- Temporary laydown areas required during construction.
- Internal access roads and perimeter security fencing around the development area
Project Location: The following properties have been identified for the development of the PV Facilities and associated infrastructure:
- Portion RE of Matjesrivier 41;
- Portion 2 of Matjesrivier 41;
- Portion 3 of Matjesrivier 41 and
- Lot 944
Application for Environmental Authorisation: Applications for Environmental Authorisation (EA) in terms of the National Environmental Management Act (No. 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and 2014 EIA Regulations (GNR 326) have been submitted for the 100MW Upilanga PV1 & PV2 facilities and associated infrastructure and are supported by basic assessment processes. Stakeholder and I&APs will be notified on the submission of the remaining applications once these proceed.
Public Participation Process: Savannah Environmental (Pty) Ltd has been appointed as the independent environmental consultant responsible for undertaking the EIA and Public Participation processes in support of these applications for EA. To obtain further information on the project and to register on the project’s database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project, in writing, to:
Documents for public review are available for download.
If you have already registered you interest click on “View Downloads”.
If you have not registered your interest click on “Register Interest”, fill in and submit the form.