Basic Assessment and Republic Participation for the Grid Connection Infrastructure for the Great Karoo Wind Farm, Northern Cape
Project details: Great Karoo wind Farm (Pty) Ltd, proposes the development of specific grid connection infrastructure required to connect and evacuate the generated power of the authorised Great Karoo Wind Farm to the national electricity grid. The project is located ~44km south of Sutherland and ~50km north of Matjiesfontein within the Northern Cape Province and falls within the Namakwa District Municipality and the Karoo Hoogland Local Municipality, and will consist of the following infrastructure:
- A double or single circuit 132kV overhead power line consisting of two sets of cables on a single set off pylon structures which will be up to 32m high.
- The power line will be developed within a 40m wide servitude.
- Service tracks along the length of the powerline, and where required during construction phase, access road clearance of up to 6m wide, to be rehabilitated down to a jeep track for maintenance during operation.
- Temporary laydown area/s that will be rehabilitated upon completion of the construction phase.
- A switching station (up to 100m x 100m) to be developed near the authorised Great Karoo Wind Farm substation.
A grid connection corridor of 300m has been identified for the power line, which widens to ~740m wide for the eastern section of the powerline. In addition a 500m assessment area around the wind farm substation has been assessed for the placement of the switching station.
Project Location: The proposed grid connection extension powerline traverses three (3) affected properties, namely:
|» Farm Kentuky 206||» RE Portion 1 of the Farm Orange Fontein No. 203||» RE of the Farm De Hoop 202.|
Basic Assessment Process: In terms of Sections 24 and 24D of NEMA, as read with the EIA Regulations 2014 of GNR 324 – R327, a Basic Assessment process is required to obtain Environmental Authorisation for the proposed project. An application for Environmental Authorisation for the project has been lodged with the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries (DEFF), as the competent authority. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required basic assessment and public participation process.
Basic Assessment Report Available for Review & Comment: A BA Report for the project has been compiled and is available for download, review and comment on the Savannah Environmental website: https://savannahsa.com/public-documents/grid-infrastructure/. The 30-day review and comment period of the BA Report is from Tuesday, 3rd of November until Thursday, 3rd of December 2020. Please submit written comments to the contact person below on or before Thursday, 3rd of December 202.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project in writing to:
Documents for public review are available for download.
If you have already registered you interest click on “View Downloads”.
If you have not registered your interest click on “Register Interest”, fill in and submit the form.