PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT OF XHARIEP EXPORT PROGRAMME (XEP) AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT AND ASSOCIATED INFRASTRCTURE, SOUTHWEST OF LUCKHOFF AND KOFFIEFONTEIN, FREE STATE PROVINCE
Applicant: JN Venter Beleggings Trust
Proposed Activity: The development of Xhariep Export Programme (XEP) Agricultural Development and associated infrastructure that is approximately 4690ha in extent and will consist of the following:
- Development of center pivot areas (cultivation and irrigation) which is planned to take approximately 2690ha within the project site.
- Two irrigation water storage dams, with a combined surface area of 82ha in extent.
- Establishment of an internal irrigation pipeline network from the irrigation dams to the centre pivot areas.
- A new pump station taking a total surface area of 549m2.
- A 5MW solar PV facility occupying an area of 10ha.
- A Battery Energy Storage System covering a surface area of 0.36ha.
Project Location: On Portion 3 of the Farm Diepdraai 754, Farm Weltevreden 755, Portion 1 of Farm Grootpoorte 168 and Farm Lemoen-Spruit 667 within the Letsemeng Local Municipality of the Xhariep District Municipality in Free State Province.
Scoping & Environmental Impact Assessment (S&EIA) Processes: In terms of Sections 24 & 24D of the National Environmental Management Act (No 107 of 1998), as read with Government Notice R324 – R327, as amended, a S&EIA process is required for each renewable energy facility and the grid connection infrastructure. Savannah Environmental is undertaking the required S&EIA and public participation processes for these projects.
EIA Report Available for Review & Comment: The EIA Report is available for review and comment and can be downloaded from the Savannah Environmental website: https://savannahsa.com/public-documents/other/. The 30-day review and comment period of the EIA Report is from Friday, 06 January 2023 to Monday, 06 February 2022.
To obtain further information and register on the project database, please submit your name, contact information and interest in the project to:
Bregardia Rabbie of Savannah Environmental
P.O. Box 148, Sunninghill, 2157
Tel: 011 656 3237
Mobile: 060 978 8396
Fax: 086 684 0547
Documents for public review are available for download.
Please click on the “Register Interest” button to obtain the Registration Code to access the project’s documents under the “View Download Page.”